Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spring Awakening II

Spring Awakening is a Broadway musical based on an 1891 German play by Frank Wedelind about personal self-discovery. The musical by Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater opened in 2006 and won eight Tony Awards in 2007.
The first time I heard the songs of Spring Awakening I had no idea what it was about. Hearing songs like "Momma Who Bore Me," talking about a birth in Bethlehem, to "I Believe," to "The Song of Purple Summer," which seemed to me to be about eternal life; I supposed that the musical was somehow about the life of Jesus. I did have a hard time understanding how a song like "Totally F***ed" fit it. But might that not be an apt description of crucifixion!
Upon deeper awareness it made sense to me that a play about the intimacies of human life, about the struggle between despair and hope, about the effect of sin and the desire for love and forgiveness, is the story of each one of us: you and me and Jesus.
Such issues of teenaged angst like maturbation, abuse and rape, thoughts of suicide, and sexual identity and awareness existed as much in the late 19th century as they do today. As much as things change, some things remain the same. Is that surprising to you? Or would you expect that to be the case?
PJ

1 comment:

  1. Ecclesiastes (?) ....there's nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete